Some turn to generators for backup power solutions, but there is a better way, and this is: batteries and inverters.
Generators are OK as a short term quick and dirty solution, but for long term regular power failures an inverter with batteries are much better.
Inverter with batteries
- Very quiet operation
- No air pollution
- Requires no maintenance
- Use solar power or Eskom power to charge batteries
- Automatically and immediately supplies power when there is a power failure.
- Clean safe power for expensive sensitive equipment such as medical devices and electronics.
- Can be very noisy
- Cause air pollution and makes smoke.
- Can be difficult to start
- Must be kept filled up with fuel
- Requires regular maintenance
- Consumes a lot of expensive fuel
- Can be complicated and dangerous to connect to home DB